If you are planning to apply for one of Alker’s vacancies please take your time to check our Privacy Notice for job Applicants.
In this Privacy Notice you will find information about our compliance with GDPR.
By applying to the job you agree for us to process your personal data. This data will only be processed in relation to your job application and will be held and deleted as per our Privacy Notice for job Applicants.
SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR – £25,000 – Pension scheme
PERMANENT POSITION – FULL TIME
Alker Fibre Optic Specialists are seeking a senior administrator for their successful, growing business. Set in the heart of Lingfield, our business has a global reach with its bespoke, pioneering fibre optic products used around the world in sectors including Military, Aerospace, Space, Telecoms and Medical.
In line with company growth, we are looking for an experienced senior administrator with Sage software experience to join our team. Ideally living within a 10-mile radius, the senior administrator will play a key role in keeping systems, administration and financials all running efficiently. Acting as the friendly, professional face of the business to our customers, the senior administrator will have oversight of day-to-day office operations and support the MD and Business Development Manager.
The successful applicant can expect to be fully supported and have a comprehensive handover by the existing senior administrator who has been promoted. Joining a happy and dedicated team, you will be kept up-to-date with company progress, be included in our ambitions for the future and your ideas will always be valued. These are just some of the reasons nearly all our employees have been with us for over 5 years!
This is a highly versatile, hands-on role where no two days are the same in an environment where confidentiality, integrity and high standards matter. If you are a natural organiser and an admin pro who radiates warmth and enthusiasm, then this could be the ideal job for you.
Overall responsibility for the administration of the company and for the on-time deliveries of products to the customer. To run the Alker office efficiently through providing outstanding service to our customers and suppliers, looking after business and financial administration, working in collaboration with the wider team and supporting the MD and Business Development Manager.
Role and Responsibilities
o Supporting the MD and Business Development Manager
o Acting as first point of contact for customers and suppliers. Responding to incoming calls and emails in a friendly, professional manner
o Using MS outlook to respond to emails relating to new orders, enquiries and customer and supplier communication
o Maintaining an up-to-date internal database, inputting all new contacts and updating any changes
o Ordering stationery and supplies
o Opening and distributing incoming and outgoing correspondence
o Running the business office on a day-to-day basis
o Filing and archiving office paperwork
o Advertising for staff and arranging interviews
o Working in a flexible manner, completing any other ad hoc duties as required
Compliance and Quality
o Liaising with the Insurance Company, securing the most favourable terms
o Dealing with ISO reviews and keeping PEARS reports and other processes up-to-date
o Adhering to ISO 9001 and AS 9100D quality standards
Production, stock and order processing
o Generating work order sheet for production
o Ordering stock for production, office and refreshment purposes
o Inputting customer orders onto sage, adding new Customers when appropriate
o Generate Shipping by producing delivery note and ordering courier, visiting suppliers on occasion
o Liaising with suppliers, maintaining strong relationships and negotiating best terms and rates. Chasing overdue orders
o Responsible for production for stock, overdue orders etc.
o Signing for deliveries, entering on sage and internal distribution
o Invoicing to customer by post or email
o Chasing overdue payments from customers
o Paying suppliers using online banking system
o Responsible for the online payments of staff
o Recording daily financial report for Director
o Reconcile bank statement monthly
o Liaising with accountant monthly and quarterly for VAT
o Controlling/reconciling petty cash
o Quarterly VAT
o Paying of HMRC payments to inland revenue
Knowledge & Experience:
o Extensive office administration experience.
o Sage Line 50.
o Microsoft Office Word, Excel and Outlook.
o Ability to work effectively and thrive within a busy, pressurised environment.
o First rate organisation, time management and prioritisation skills.
o Superb communication and interpersonal skills.
o Able to build positive relationships with colleagues, customers and suppliers.
o Strong negotiation and influencing skills, able to be assertive when needed.
o Natural team worker, willingly supports others where needed.
o Self-motivated with plenty of initiative.
o Fluent written and verbal English language skills.
o Ability to follow procedures and adhere to rigid industry quality standards.
o Detail oriented and accurate.
o Ability to be confidential and discrete.
o Full driving licence.
o Experience of working in an industry regulated environment
o Degree educated
Please send your CV and a covering letter outlining how your skills and experience are a good match for this role to karenchubbalkercouk
9am 8th July 2019
Hours are Mon-Fri 9:00-5:30 with the scope for some flexibility for the right candidate. Holidays: 20 days + public bank holidays + additional holiday das awarded per year for each year of completed employment up to a maximum of 5 years.
Free lunch provided daily.
DESIGN ENGINEER – £25,000 + Pension scheme
Reports to: Managing Director of Alker Fibre Optic Design
Purpose of Role
Support the MD in getting a number of new and patent pending fibre optic products ready to market. Proactive in playing a key role in the development and success of Alker Fibre Optic Design. Generate, analyse and test new designs, using SolidWorks 3D CAD to bring concept sketches to life.
• Translate thoughts from R&D and sketches into drawings that can be used for building prototypes.
• From the ground up, generate innovative design and engineering solutions that meet our mission to be world class leaders and pioneers in fibre optic design.
• Work with the MD in taking ideas from prototype to product completion and ready for manufacture.
• Design and development of fibre optic products using SolidWorks for 3D modelling. Design analysis and testing for functionality.
• Attending any relevant industry events, training or seminars to deepen design and fibre optic knowledge and keep up-to-date with emerging innovations, market influences and trends.
• Always forward-looking and striving for excellence – anticipate potential issues with designs, explore solutions and carry out research to back up ideas.
• Investigate construction issues in prototypes and establish root cause.
Communication & Relationships:
• Communicate with suppliers and customers on design and development issues.
• Build productive relationships through communicating in and out of the business in line with our values of professionalism, integrity and positivity.
• Work with the MD and wider Alker team as needed to share and seek information, bounce new ideas and get things done.
Administration & Compliance:
• Keep up-to-date records of work completed and in progress, using in-house systems.
• Produce technical reports to ensure products meet with legislation.
• Work effectively within an environment which requires absolute confidentiality.
• Assisting with costings.
• Ensuring deadlines and financial frameworks are met.
• Adhere to strict compliances as required by ISO 9001 and AS 9100D.
The list of duties in this job description should not be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive. There will be other duties and requirements associated with this role and, in addition, as a term of your employment you may be required to undertake various other duties as may reasonably be required. Please note that Alker Fibre Optic Design reserves the right to update this job description from time to time to reflect changes and the post holder will be consulted about any proposed changes.
Educated to Degree level in an engineering discipline
At least 1-years’ commercial experience in Design Engineering
If we could wave a magic wand…..
• Advanced level skill in the use of SolidWorks 3D CAD.
• Superb problem-solving skills. Ability to own issues, break through barriers and provide solutions that work.
• Organised and self-disciplined. You are OK with low levels of supervision and intervention.
• Excellent visual, observational and spatial awareness skills. When you see a sketch you find it easy to imagine the final product.
• Creative engineering talent. You get a buzz out of generating new designs, bringing designs to life and you’re good at it.
• Thorough, attentive and detail-oriented approach. High standards matter to you and cutting corners makes you feel uncomfortable.
• Confident and clear communication skills. People like interacting with you. You can talk to customers, suppliers and staff at every level with ease and positivity. You can translate technical info clearly to non-technical people. Fluent in written and spoken English.
• Personal accountability. You take ownership for your own work, seek and respect others’ opinions and are energised by developing your own knowledge.
• Broad understanding relating to the use and manufacturing of different materials.
• Experience of design engineering for Military and Aviation sectors.
• Knowledge of Fibre Optics.
• Experience in working within a quality management system.
9am 8th July 2019
Hours are Mon-Fri 9:00-5:30. Holidays: 20 days + public bank holidays + additional holiday awarded per year for each year of completed employment up to a maximum of 5 years.
Free lunch provided daily.
TRAINEE FIBRE OPTIC TECHNICIAN
PERMANENT POSITION – FULL TIME
To manufacture fibre optic assemblies following our standard operating procedures or specified drawings, to the highest quality. To assist with stock levels, cleaning and other duties that arise within the production area. Full training will be provided.
Hours of Work
08.30 to 17.00 Monday to Friday with 30 minutes for lunch (40 hour week)
£16,000 and £20,000 per annum based on experience and ability. Salary increases once trained.
Role and Responsibilities
• Production of fibre optic leads following our standard operating procedures
• Production of fibre optic leads following a specified drawing
• Ensuring safe packaging of all customer products
• Keeping stock up to date using our Kanban system
• Pro-actively helping with solutions to improve production
• Liaising with the Office Manager regarding any outstanding jobs within production
• Attending a daily update meeting with Office Manager
• Ensuring production area is kept clean and hazard free
• Cleaning as per company cleaning Rota
• Write new standard operating procedures for sign off by MD where appropriate
|GCSE or above in Mathematics||yes|
|GCSE or above in English||yes|
|Ability to follow written instructions and drawings||yes|
|Have an excellent hand to eye co-ordination||yes|
|Ability to work as part of a team||yes|
|Ability to respond to instructions given as part of the manufacturing process||yes|
|Ability to communicate effectively with fellow production workers||yes|
|Ability to communicate effectively with Office and MD||yes|
Please send your CV’s with a covering letter to karenchubbalkercouk or if you require any further information regarding the position please call +44 (0) 1342 870050.